IIUC Notes – Getting Phones on the LAN
More study notes. Correct if wrong, though I hope I get some of it right since I already since I'm an R&S guy. :$
- switchport mode access: This config makes the port an access port that carries the primary and voice VLAN traffic
- switchport mode trunk: This config akes the port a trunk unconditionally, but it will still send DTP messages
- switchport nonegotiate: This config keeps the port from sending DTP messages.
- switchport mode dynamic auto: If the port receives DTP messages, it will become a trunk. If not, it will be an access port.
- switchport mode dynamic desirable: The port actively sends DTP messages trying to become a trunk. This is the default configuration on a Cisco switch.
Cisco IP Phone Boot Process
- Phone connects to an Ethernet switch and gets power if needed
- Switch tells the phone the correct voice VLAN through CDP
- Phone sends DHCP request for its voice VLAN
- DHCP offer includes the TFTP server from which to download the config
- Phone downloads the config from the TFTP server
- Phone contacts the call processing server as dictated in the config file
DHCP Settings on a Cisco Router or L3 Switch
R1(config)#ip dhcp pool MYPOOL
R1(dhcp-config)#network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
R1(dhcp-config)#option 150 ip 192.168.0.20 <– Tells the phone to download the config from this TFTP server
R1(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.100 <– Don't use these IPs when handing out DHCP
Why should you use NTP for a CME setup?
- Phones display correct time
- Voicemails have the correct time
- CDRs are timestamped accurately
- Router logs are timestamped accurately
- Time-based access worked predictably
R1(config)#ntp server 18.104.22.168
R1(config)#clock timezone MYTZ -5 <– Sets the timezone to a zone called MYTZ that's 5 hours behind UTC
- Netbox Upgrade Play-by-play - April 25, 2023
- Sending Slack Messages with Python - March 15, 2023
- Using Python Logging to Figure Out What You Did Wrong - February 26, 2023
I think you missed a 'd' on ip dhcp excluded-address 🙂
Fixed! Thanks, Joshua.